Technology Roadmap for Innovative Alternatives to Renal Replacement Therapy
During ASN Kidney Week 2018, Joseph V. Bonventre, MD, PhD, FASN, announced the release of the "Technology Roadmap for Innovative Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy". Dr. Bonventre led a multidisciplinary team during the two year development process.
The roadmap is intended to increase interest, investment, and innovation in renal replacement therapy (RRT). It is now available for innovators, researchers, and entrepreneurs.
A signature initiative for KHI, this technology roadmap outlines strategies and research pathways needed to more effectively and efficiently develop commercially viable RRT alternatives to current dialysis treatment. Initially developed by a diverse group of stakeholders from across the kidney community, the roadmap is distinguished by these key elements:
- A patient-centered focus, with a clearly delineated, patient-developed vision of improved patient quality of life
- Increased opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration
- Multiple solution pathways with various time horizons
- Common design requirements to ensure that all solutions meet the same minimum technical expectations
This community-consensus approach will enable the research areas and priorities outlined in the roadmap to more effectively:
- Foster the creativity and multidisciplinary innovation needed to spur advances in RRT
- Help funding agencies and proposal reviewers assess the relevance and potential impacts of RRT project proposals
- Encourage new interest and investment in the RRT field
- Offer increased treatment options and an improved quality of life to patients with kidney failure
Creating innovative advanced therapies for those in renal failure is critically important. We owe it to our patients.
Joseph V. Bonventre, MD, PhD, FASN
Chair, Steering Committee
- Slide Deck (Coming Soon)
- Patient Friendly One Pager (Coming Soon)
- Patient Survey Results (Coming Soon)
In June 2016, the White House Organ Summit called for an increase in breakthrough research and development to improve outcomes for patients needing transplants. In response, KHI leadership established an initiative on Developing a Roadmap for Innovative Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy to foster a new, multidisciplinary approach to advancing solutions that can improve the lives of millions of patients with kidney failure.
The roadmap offers innovators and entrepreneurs the common design requirements and development details needed to propel projects toward funding opportunities through KidneyX's Redesign Dialysis prize competition. The research priorities in the roadmap offer a strategic development and implementation pathway to support KidneyX's emphasis on expediting the development of new therapies.