Technology Roadmap for Innovative Alternatives to Renal Replacement Therapy
The Technology Roadmap for Innovative Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT Technology Roadmap) is intended to increase interest, investment, and innovation in renal replacement therapy among innovators, researchers, and entrepreneurs.
The RRT Technology Roadmap outlines solution strategies and research pathways needed to more effectively and efficiently develop commercially viable RRT alternatives to current dialysis treatment. Initially developed by a diverse group of stakeholders from across the kidney community, the RRT Technology Roadmap is distinguished by these key elements:
- A patient-centered focus, with a clearly delineated, patient-developed vision of improved patient quality of life
- Increased opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration
- Multiple solution pathways with various time horizons
- Common design requirements to ensure that all solutions meet the same minimum technical expectations
This community-consensus approach will enable the research areas and priorities outlined in the roadmap to more effectively:
- Foster the creativity and multidisciplinary innovation needed to spur advances in RRT
- Help funding agencies and proposal reviewers assess the relevance and potential impacts of RRT project proposals
- Encourage new interest and investment in the RRT field
- Offer increased treatment options and an improved quality of life to patients with kidney failure
Creating innovative advanced therapies for those in renal failure is critically important. We owe it to our patients.
Joseph V. Bonventre, MD, PhD, FASN
Chair, Steering Committee
In June 2016, the White House Organ Summit called for an increase in breakthrough research and development to improve outcomes for patients needing transplants. In response, KHI leadership established an initiative on Developing a Roadmap for Innovative Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy to foster a new, multidisciplinary approach to advancing solutions that can improve the lives of millions of patients with kidney failure.
The RRT Technology Roadmap offers innovators and entrepreneurs the common design requirements and development details needed to propel projects toward funding opportunities through KidneyX's Redesign Dialysis prize competition. The research priorities in the roadmap offer a strategic development and implementation pathway to support KidneyX's emphasis on expediting the development of new therapies.