Call for Applications: 2022 KHI Board of Directors
The Kidney Health Initiative (KHI) Nominating Committee calls for nominations for members of KHI's Board of Directors (BOD). All BOD members serve through either the Biologics, Devices, Drugs, or Strategy Committees upon appointment.
The KHI BOD is charged with executing KHI's mission and objectives. Through the Biologics, Devices, and Drugs Committees, responsibilities include:
- Soliciting, developing, reviewing, and endorsing concepts for activities and projects based on criteria that includes pre-competitive solutions that advance patient-focused regulatory science and innovation.
- Approving project work plans, rosters of working groups, and minor project revisions.
- Recommending ad hoc committees and task forces.
- Recruiting, reviewing, and recommending prospective KHI member organizations.
- Engaging the KHI membership and broader community.
- Developing topical themes for the KHI Annual Stakeholder Meeting.
- Defining strategic opportunities to assess issues relevant to KHI's three-year objectives and annual goals.
- Developing and monitoring annual goals and performance indicators to track progress across a portfolio of activities and projects.
- Communicating annual strategic goals to the KHI membership.
Through the Strategy Committee, responsibilities include:
- Prioritizing and approving proposals for activities and projects based on alignment to KHI annual priorities, deliverables, and resources.
- Approving major revisions to project scope and budget and final deliverables.
- Establishing and closing out ad hoc committees and task forces.
- Approving KHI membership applications.
- Approving changes to member categories and annual membership dues structure.
- Approving chairs and themes for the KHI Annual Stakeholder Meeting.
- Developing and approving three-year objectives.
- Refining, approving, and monitoring KHI annual goals and key performance indicators.
- Updating ASN Council on KHI strategy and accomplishments.
The Nominating Committee evaluates all candidates with a focus on diversity and a balanced BOD that reflects the stakeholders and members of KHI.
The organizational structure of KHI includes a BOD that incorporates expertise from healthcare professionals, patients or patient advocates, representatives from commercial entities, and government liaisons. Health care professionals must be a member of the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).
In 2022, the KHI BOD will consider the following candidate profiles for the Biologics, Devices, Drugs, and Strategy Committees:
- Patient advocates with experience in kidney diseases and related conditions
- Representatives from small, mid, and large-sized private sector companies that encompass the breadth of FDA's mission
- Health professionals with expertise in kidney diseases
- Members at-large with diverse experience developing kidney biologics, devices, and drugs
Selected candidates will serve from January 1, 2023, through December 31, 2025. A new Board member orientation will be scheduled in January 2023.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person meetings planned for 2023 are at the discretion and guidance of the ASN leadership. Each member of the KHI BOD is "supported" by his or her sponsoring organization. As such, the KHI member organization is responsible for all expenses (travel, hotel, and incidentals) that are associated with in-person board meetings. In an effort to be as inclusive as possible, the KHI BOD will consider making an exception to this policy if a member faces a financial burden.
A candidate or their nominator should send the candidate's CV or resume along with a one-page explanation (no more than 500 words) of the candidate's expertise, relevant experience, and potential contribution to the KHI BOD. Applications must specify which KHI BOD committee the candidate intends to serve on:
- Biologics Committee (includes xenotransplantation; cellular, tissue, and gene therapies; and vaccines)
- Devices Committee (includes devices, diagnostics, and digital health)
- Drugs Committee
- Strategy Committee
Candidates may self-nominate or be nominated by a KHI member or individual in the community. Candidates who are nominated are asked to review the roles and responsibilities of the KHI BOD as well as the time commitment and include consent to the nomination prior to submission.
KHI must receive this application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 23, at 5:00 p.m. EDT. KHI will send an email to confirm receipt of the application. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please contact KHI staff at email@example.com.
Conflict of Interest and Commitment Disclosure:
In accordance with KHI's Conflict of Interest Policy, all candidates must have a current disclosure on file with ASN. KHI staff will confirm this upon receipt of the nomination and contact any individuals who needs to provide or update the information on record.